TVC Graffiti Free Thirroul
Minutes and Actions Saturday 29th September 2018 at Jose Jones Thirroul
Barbara Mebberson, John DALLA POZZA, Lynne Parker, Ray Smith, Lucy, Murray Jones, Tony Horneman
Paul Tuckerman, John Mebberson, Peter Spencer, Catherine Philps, Linda Cortie
To report and control illegal graffiti vandalism in the Thirroul area. Aim for ‘Graffiti Free Thirroul’.
1. Meeting agreed that the name of the TVC Graffiti committee shall be “Graffiti Free Thirroul”.
2. Members to keep an eye on hardware stores in the area to see if they are all complying with the law regarding the display and sale of spray cans. Graffiti Control Act 2008, (Para 8 Unsecured display by retailers of spray paint cans).
3. Sgt Heath Rhind, from Helensburgh Police Station sent an email regarding graffiti crime in the areas. Content of email discussed at the meeting. Heath is happy to receive minutes from our meetings in the future. (ACTION: Tony H)
4. The Shared Google Sheet to record all graffiti reports was discussed and the meeting and it was decided NOT to continue using the shared sheet. The alternative if to utilise the existing WCC on-line database to monitor graffiti reports and resolution times. The majority of graffiti attacks are listed on the WCC webpage, however reports to other organisations, eg. Endeavour Energy, Australia Post, TfNSW, etc are not listed in the WCC database.
5 WCC have revised the WCC Graffiti Policy, adopted by WCC Exec Mgt Committee 25Jun18. Significant change is the change to graffiti restorations times:
Para 2 Prioritisation of Graffiti Removal on Council Assets (page 2)
Type 1 Racist, defamatory, offensive graffiti on Council assets and/or prominent sites or sites of significance. Within 1 working day
Type 2 All non-offensive or other types of graffiti. Within 1 to 20 working days in accordance with Council’s asset routine maintenance schedule.
NOTE: The priority removal time is relevant to the current level (number) of staff removing graffiti.
This is a softening of the policy because restoration times is dependant of ‘the number of WCC staff removing graffiti’. This may result in an undefined time. Further discussion at next meeting.
6. Meeting discussed the difference between Commissioned Street Art and Criminal Graffiti Vandalism. (eg of commissioned Street Art is WCC/RMS funded murals on Memorial Drive, Road B65, at Woonona/Bulli. Meeting agreed Street Art, done properly, enhances the community.
7. Murray reported on Street Art options for the area. Murray met the artist responsible for the large "little Creatures" art work on the northern side of the Ryans, plus his associate. Both are responsible for numerous other Street Art efforts around Thirroul. If they are given free artistic licence, they will paint a mural on a wall for free. (but who knows what they will paint!). Commissioned work with specification and a brief will cost about $2000.
8. ‘Scope Document’ second draft to be updated before next meeting. (ACTION: Tony H to edit and share for further comment/approval)
9. Discussed email from Jen Lysle-Van Dyk, Engagement Officer, from WCC who listed the various channels available to report graffiti:
a Phone WCC on (02) 4227 7111
c Send them a message via their Facebook page www.facebook.com/askwcc
d Submit graffiti reports via Council’s website: http://www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/customerserviceonline/reportit/Pages/default.aspx#gref
e If you have a smartphone, you can also download the Report It app to report that way. Search for 'Wollongong Report It' on the Apple App Store or Google Play.
26th May 18 (1st) 30th Jun 18 (2nd)
WCC Graffiti Webpage: http://www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/services/maintenance/Pages/graffitiremoval.aspx#gref
Sydney Trains Feedback Webpage: https://www.sydneytrains.info/contact_us/feedback
Endeavor Energy Website: http://www.endeavourenergy.com.au
Sat 1st Dec 10am - Jose Jones Thirroul
Thank you for attending.
0411 213 715